Sunday, July 12, 2009

Update from the tomato

Hello family and friends! Colin is finally letting me use his phone :) Now it is time for me to update you and let you know how I am doing.

I left with some fears. I was nervous about being away from my family for so long. Not only was I leaving the country for the first time without a family member but I also going with a group of people that I didn't know very well. Thankfully, I was able to let go of all of my fears not long after we left.

The whole trip has been such an awesome adventure so far. I loved the homestay. I stayed with a single woman who was deaf. Thankfully I knew enough spanish for us to communicate. She read my lips and I watched her point and picked out some of the words that she said. We only had to pull out a piece of paper a couple of times. I am very glad that I got to stay with her. She had such a kind and hospitable personality. I really enjoyed giving her the gifts that I had brought her from home. She loved the huckleberry lotion and the hot chocolate.

On the last night at her house, I was able to go into my room and spend a lot of time in prayer for her and her family. I will definitely be emailing her when I get home.

The beach has been quite the experience. Unfortunately, I got a sunburn on my face and my shoulders. I am slowly recovering and I am afraid that I may peel from this one...

Last night was one of the most fun nights that I have had so far. We went to a flamenco restaurant where we got to watch a flamenco dancing session while we ate. After dessert, they began pulling us up to dance with them one at a time. Then they turned on the Mocarina and we all got on stage and danced.

After dinner we went back to the hotel and went on a walk in the dark. Five of us stopped at a photo booth and took a couple of great pictures. Then we found a concert going on close to the hotel. They were playing on a stage that was in a pond. They were singing in English. I really enjoyed sitting down and listening to them.

Today we played some beach volleyball and I kicked butt :) we are on our way to lunch right now. We get to make paella. I am excited.

(update: here's some pics from lunch!)
















Hopefully I will be able to write more soon. Please keep us in your prayers. Specifically for rest and more team bonding.

Kona

Funny things I've seen:

- a clown kiss one of our team members the lips
- a mother holding her five year old daughter while she peed on a tree in public
- mannequins dressed in trash bag dresses

3 comments:

  1. Who got kissed???? I bet their reaction was priceless!!! LOVE the updates. thank you guys so much for doing it. I am posting using jesica's acct info since I don't have my own. Tell her hello and I can't wait to see pictures! Marshal was asking how "white boy" is doing too! Hope you guys are having some fun with him. Shanyn Schenk

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS tell Jesica it was good talking to her and to turn down the resolution on her camera a little so she will have room for more pictures.
    Thank you, wish I could send it right to her, hope you don't mind being the messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking the blog!
    We'll pass the message along!

    ReplyDelete